OneRepublic is one of my favorite bands – Ryan Tedder is a great songwriter in my opinion. The band came out with a new album in 2016, titled Oh My My, and it has a few hit singles (Kids, Wherever I G0) but I haven’t really listened to the rest. This last week I devoured the album and this is what I came up with:
- Let’s Hurt Tonight – I love OneRepublic’s slower sound, so I do really like this song. I think Ryan Tedder played to his strengths with this one when it came to vocals. I love being able to hear a guitar strumming in the background of any song.
- Future Looks Good – I really enjoyed the first verse of the song, but the second half kinda lost me. I do think I would like this song better if I saw it live.
- Wherever I G0 – I wish the voices weren’t as edited in this song. During the chorus (and I can’t tell if it is Tedder or a background singer) the voice sounds so edited that I think it’s a little too much for me.
- Kids – I heard it on the radio and didn’t think much of it. Listening to this song with headphones in was really a game changer for me. I do like the rhythm in the verses and the instrumentals.
- Choke – I love the vocals, especially when they bring in the choir for part of it. The piano in the slower parts is also nice.
- Oh My My (Cassius) – I’m not a fan of this one. I respect bands trying out a new sound, but I don’t think the sound fits the rest of the music, so I’m not sure I like it.
- Born – I really like the rhythm in the verses in this one. The more times I listen the more I end up falling in love with this song.
- A.I. (Peter Gabriel) – The beginning of this song makes me feel like I’m in a hip bar somewhere. Then when Peter Gabriel comes in I get kind of confused about where I am. I love Peter Gabriel, and I think he and the band could have done a great collaboration but they missed it with this one. Plus the guitar gets kind of intense. I think this song is just too busy.
- Better – I just caught myself bobbing my head to this song. Just one of those songs you want to bob your head to.
- Fingertips – Okay I really really like this one. I am a sucker for slow music, and I think OneRepublic does slow music well. This is definitely one of my favorites on the album.
- Heaven – This song is okay. Maybe a little too repetitive/dance-like for my taste.
- Human – I really have no complaints with this song. Love it.
- Lift Me Up – I like this song, it’s really different. It’s fun to just listen to and hear all of the different parts. Weird comparison but it makes me think of a quilt with all of the different parts.
- Dream – This is one of those songs that I don’t even realize I’m listening to. Definitely can’t get lost in this song, more like background noise than anything.
- NbHD (Santigold) – The rhyming and rhythm in the verses is cool, but the chorus is kind of annoying.
- All These Things – One of the few songs where I probably like the chorus better than the verses. I like it, it’s a relaxing song. Still can’t get too into it but I do enjoy having it playing.
Overall I do really like this album, especially the more I listen to it. Also, if you haven’t seen OneRepublic live you should – their concert was one of my favorites. See ya next week.